Kaigui Bian received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Engineering from Virginia Tech in 2011,
and his B.S. degree in Computer Science from Peking University, Beijing, China in 2005.
His Ph.D. advisor is Prof. Jung-Min "Jerry" Park. He was a visiting researcher at Microsoft Research Asia in 2013. He is a senior member of IEEE, and a member of ACM, IET, and CCF.
He received four best paper awards of international conferences (IEEE ICC 2015, ICCSE 2017, BIGCOM 2018, Best Student Paper Award of IEEE DSC 2018). He was awarded the Peking University Teaching Excellence Award in 2014, and the Tsang Hin-chi Teaching Excellence Award in 2017.
He was the recipient of IEEE Communication Society Asia-Pacific Board (APB) Outstanding Young Researcher Award in 2018. He received the CCF-Intel Young Faculty Researcher Award in 2014. He was a co-recipient (4/6) of the First Prize of Natural Science of Ministry of Education of P. R. China in 2017. He was a Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) invitational fellow in 2019.
He serves as an Editor for IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology and IEEE Access. He serves as the wireless networking symposium co-chair for IEEE/CIC ICCC 2019, the publicity chair for ACM/IWQoS 2019, the organizing committee member for SAGT 2018, the publication chair for IEEE DSC 2018, and he was on technical program committee of many international conferences.
smart networking system, wireless networking, mobile computing, network security
Computer network, Career planning and leadership development
Kaigui has published at journals and conferences such as IEEE JSAC, IEEE TMC, IEEE/ACM ToN, IEEE TWC, IEEE Network magazine, IEEE IoT-J, IEEE TVT, IEEE TCCN, ACM MobiCom, IEEE INFOCOM, ACM CCS, ACM MobiHoc, ACM IMC, IJCAI, ICCV, ACM CIKM, AAAI, etc.
His publication has received more than 3000 citations on Google Scholar.
- K. Bian, J. Park, and B. Gao, ''Cognitive Radio Networks: Medium Access Control for Coexistence of Wireless Systems," Springer, 2014, print ISBN: 978-3-319-07328-6, online ISBN: 978-3-319-07329-3; available at: http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-07329-3
- K. Bian, J. Park. ''Coexistence of Heterogeneous Cellular Networks," in Handbook of Cognitive Radio, W. Zhang (Ed), Springer, 2017. ISBN: 978-981-10-1389-8. https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-981-10-1389-8_32-1
- J. Park, and K. Bian, ''Security of Cognitive Radios," in Encyclopedia of Cryptography and Security (2nd Ed.), Henk C.A. van Tilborg, and Sushil Jajodia (Eds.), Springer, 2010.
- J. Park, K. Bian, and R. Chen, ''Cognitive Radio Network Security," in Cognitive Radio Communications and Networks: Principles and Practice, A. Wyglinski, M. Nekovee, and T. Hou (Eds.), Academic Press/Elsevier, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-12-374715-0.
- P. Zhou, Q. Yan, K. Wang, M. Hu, S. Ji, K. Bian. Jamsa: A Utility Optimal Contextual Online Learning Framework for Anti-jamming Wireless Scheduling Under Reactive Jamming Attack . IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering (IEEE TNSE), accepted for publication.
- P. Wang, B. Di, H. Zhang, K. Bian, L. Song. Platoon Cooperation in Cellular V2X Networks for 5G and Beyond. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (IEEE TWC), accepted for publication.
V. Kumar, H. Li, J. Park, K. Bian. Crowd-sourced Authentication for Enforcement in Dynamic Spectrum Sharing. IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking (IEEE TCCN), accepted for publication.
K. Wang, L. Chen, K. Bian, W. Wang, P. Zhou. On Cooperative Channel Rendezvous in Cognitive Radio Networks. IEEE Access, Volume: 7, Page(s): 57500 - 57515, IEEE Access.
M. Tong, Y. Tao, Y. Zhang, K. Bian, W. Yan. Trajectory-based User Encounter Prediction over Wireless Sensor Networks. Springer Wireless Personal Communications (Springer WIRE), Issue 4, 2019.
K. Bian, C. Gao, Y. Tao, Y. Zhang, L. Song, S. Dong, X. Li. Learning at the Edge: Smart Content Delivery in Real World Mobile Social Networks. IEEE Network, Vol. 33(4):208--215, July/August 2019.
- H. Zhang, B. Di, K. Bian, L. Song. IoT-U: Cellular Internet-of-Things Networks over Unlicensed Spectrum. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (IEEE TWC), Volume: 18 , Issue: 5 , May 2019.
- K. Wang, L. Chen, K. Bian, X. Ge, W. Chen, Q. Ai. Multi-radio Channel Rendezvous in Cognitive Radio Networks. IET Communications (IET COM), Volume: 13 , Issue: 10 , 6 25 2019.
- Z. Hu, Z. Bai, K. Bian, T. Wang, L. Song. Real-Time Fine-Grained Air Quality Sensing Networks in Smart City: Design, Implementation and Optimization. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Volume: 6 , Issue: 5 , Oct. 2019.
- Z. Hu, Z. Bai, Y. Yang, Z. Zheng, K. Bian, L. Song. UAV Aided Aerial-Ground IoT for Air Quality Sensing in Smart City: Architecture, Technologies and Implementation. IEEE Network, Volume: 33 , Issue: 2 , March/April 2019.
- F. Dang, E. Zhai, Z. Li, P. Zhou, A. Mohaisen, K. Bian, Q. Wen, M. Li. Pricing Data Tampering in Automated Fare Collection with NFC-equipped Smartphones. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC), Volume: 18 , Issue: 5 , May 1 2019.
- P. Wang, B. Di, H. Zhang, K. Bian, L. Song. Cellular V2X Communications in Unlicensed Spectrum: Harmonious Coexistence with VANET in 5G systems. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (IEEE TWC), Vol. 17(8):5212--5224, August 2018.
- L. Chen, R. Fan, Y. Zhang, S. Shi, K. Bian, L. Chen, P. Zhou, M. Gerla, T. Wang, X. Li. On Heterogeneous Duty Cycles for Neighbor Discovery in Wireless Sensor Networks. Ad Hoc Networks (ADHOC), Vol. 77:54--68, August 2018.
- J. Hu, B. Di, Y. Liao, K. Bian, L. Song. Hybrid MAC Protocol Design and Optimization for Full Duplex Wi-Fi Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (IEEE TWC), Vol. 17(6):3615--3630, March 2018.
- Y. Zhang, Z. Li, C. Gao, K. Bian, L. Song, S. Dong, X. Li. Mobile Social Big Data: WeChat Moments Dataset, Network Applications, and Opportunities. IEEE Network, Vol. 32(3):146--153, May--June 2018.
"移动社交网络大数据分析在计算机网络中的应用" WeChatNet 微信朋友圈转发数据集
- K. Bian, G. Zhang, L. Song. Towards Secure Crowd Sensing in Vehicle-to-everything Networks. IEEE Network, Vol. 32(2):126--131, March-April 2018.
- P. Gong, J. Xue, P. Qian, H. Yang, X. Liu, L. Cai, K. Bian, Z. Yang. Scalp-recorded high-frequency oscillations in childhood epileptic encephalopathy with continuous spike-and-wave during sleep with different etiologies. Brain and Development, Vol. 40(4):299--310, April 2018.
- Y. Yang, Z. Zheng, K. Bian, L. Song, Z. Han. Realtime Profiling of Fine-Grained Air Quality
Index Distribution using UAV Sensing. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 5(1):186--198, Feb. 2018.
- S. Zhang, H. Zheng, Q. He, K. Bian, L. Song. Power and Trajectory Optimization for UAV Relay Networks. IEEE Communications Letters (IEEE CommL), Vol. 22(1):161--164, Jan. 2018.
- Y. Zhang, Z. Li. C. Gao, K. Bian, Z. Yang, X. Li. Modeling Geo Homopholy in Online Social Networks for Population Distribution Projection. International Journal of Crowd Science, accepted for publication. Vol. 1(3):249--269, August 2017.
- X. Zhou, H. Hong, X. Xing, K. Bian, K. Xie, M. Xu. Discovering spatio-temporal dependencies based on time-lag in intelligent transportation data. Neurocomputing, Vol. 259(11):76--84, October 2017.
- V. Kumar, J. Park, K. Bian. Transmitter Authentication Using Hierarchical Modulation in Dynamic Spectrum Sharing. Elsevier Journal of Networking and Computer Applications (JNCA), Vol. 91(1):52--60, August 2017.
- P. Zhao, K. Bian, T. Zhao, X. Song, J. Park, X. Li, F. Ye, W. Yan. Understanding Smartphone Sensor and App Data for Enhancing the Security of Secret Questions. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC), Vol. 16(2):552--565, February 2017.
- P. Zhou, W. Wei, K. Bian, D. Wu, Y. Hu, Q. Wang. Private and Truthful Aggregative Game for Large-Scale Spectrum Sharing. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (IEEE JSAC), Vol. 35(2):463-477, January 2017.
- X. Zhou, X. Xing, L. Han, H. Hong, K. Bian, K. Xie. Structure Feature Learning method for Incomplete Data. International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI), Vol. 30(9), November 2016.
- L. Chen, K. Bian, M. Zheng. From Single- to Multi-channel Neighbor Discovery for Mobile Sensing Applications. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (IEEE/ACM ToN), Vol. 24(5):3148--3161, October 2016.
- S. Bhattarai, J. Park, B. Gao, K. Bian, L. William. An Overview of Dynamic Spectrum Sharing: Ongoing Initiatives, Challenges, and a Roadmap for Future Research. IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking (IEEE TCCN), Vol. 2(2):110--128, June 2016.
- L. Chen, K. Bian. Neighbor Discovery in Mobile Sensing Applications: A Comprehensive Survey. Ad Hoc Networks (ADHOC), Vol. 48(15):38--52, September 2016.
- G. Li, Y. Zhao, K. Bian. Efficient User Association in Cellular Networks with Hybrid Cognitive Radio Relays, IEEE Communications Letters (IEEE CommL), Vol. 20(7):1413--1416, July 2016.
- V. Kumar, J. Park, K. Bian. PHY-Layer Authentication Using Duobinary Signaling for Spectrum Enforcement, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security. (IEEE T-IFS), Vol. 11(5):1027--1038, May 2016.
- R. Gao, M. Zhao, T. Ye, F. Ye, G. Luo, K. Bian, Y. Wang, T. Wang, X. Li. Multi-story Indoor Floor Plan Reconstruction via Mobile Crowdsensing. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC), Vol. 15(6):1427--1442, April 2016.
- L. Song, Y. Liao, K. Bian, L. Song, Z. Han. Cross-Layer Protocol Design for CSMA/CD in Full-Duplex WiFi Networks, IEEE Communications Letters (IEEE CommL), Vol. 20(4):792--795, April 2016.
- R. Gao, Y. Tian, F. Ye, G. Luo, K. Bian, Y. Wang, T. Wang, X. Li. Sextant: Towards Ubiquitous Indoor Localization Service by Photo-taking of the Environment, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC), Vol. 15(2):460--474, February 2016.
- L. Chen, K. Bian. The Telephone Coordination Game Revisited: From Random to Deterministic Algorithms, IEEE Transactions on Computers (IEEE TC), Vol. 64(10):2968--2980, October 2015.
- Y. Liao, K. Bian, L. Song, Z. Han. Full-duplex MAC Protocol Design and Analysis, IEEE Communications Letters (IEEE CommL), Vol. 19(7):1185--1188, July 2015.
- L. Chen, K. Bian, X. Du, and X. Li. Multi-channel Broadcast via Channel Hopping in Cognitive Radio Networks, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (IEEE TVT), Vol. 64(7):3004--3017, July 2015.
- K. Bian, J. Park, L. Chen, and X. Li. Addressing the Hidden Terminal Problem for Heterogeneous Coexistence between TDM and CSMA Networks in White Space, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (IEEE TVT), Vol. 63(9):4450--4463, November 2014.
- A. Huang, C. Chen, K. Bian, X. Duan, M. Chen, H. Gao, C. Meng, Q. Zheng,
Y. Zhang, B. Jiao, and L. Xie. WE-CARE: An Intelligent Mobile Telecardiology
System to Enable mHealth Applications, IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine (IEEE TITB or JBHI), Vol. 18(2):693--702, March 2014.
- K. Bian, J. Park, X. Du, and X. Li. Enabling Fair Spectrum Sharing: Mitigating Selfish Misbehaviors in Spectrum Contention, IEEE Network, Vol. 27(3):16--21, May-June 2013.
- K. Bian, and J. Park. Maximizing Rendezvous Diversity in Rendezvous Protocols for Decentralized Cognitive Radio Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC), Vol. 12(7):1294--1307, July 2013.
- R. Chen, J. Park, and K. Bian. Robustness against Byzantine Failures in Distributed Spectrum Sensing, Elsevier Computer Communications, (COMCOM), Vol. 35(17):2115--2124, October 2012.
- K. Bian, J. Park and R. Chen. Control Channel Establishment in Cognitive Radio Networks using Channel Hopping, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (IEEE JSAC), Vol. 29(4):689--703, April 2011.
Selected Conference Publications (Complete List)
P. Zhao, A. You, Y. Zhang, J. Liu, K. Bian, Y. Tong. Spherical Criteria for Fast and Accurate 360° Object Detection. AAAI 2020.
J. Xiao, Y. Zhang, P. Zhao, K. Xiao, K. Bian, C. Zhang, W. Yan. Multi-view Moments Embedding Network for 3D Shape Recognition. ACM CIKM 2019.
M. Yang, Y. Guan, M. Liao, X. He, K. Bian, S. Bai, C. Yao, X. Bai. Symmetry-constrained Rectification Network for Scene Text Recognition. IEEE ICCV 2019.
T. Liu, Z. Zheng, H. Li, K. Bian, L. Song. Playing Card-based RTS Games with Deep Reinforcement Learning. IJCAI 2019..
Y. Yang, Z. Hu, K. Bian, L. Song. ImgSensingNet: UAV Vision Guided Aerial-Ground Air Quality Sensing System. IEEE INFOCOM 2019.
Y. Zhang, P. Zhao, K. Bian, Y. Liu, L. Song, X. Li. DRL360: 360-degree Video Streaming with Deep Reinforcement Learning. IEEE INFOCOM 2019.
Y. Zhang, K. Bian, H. Tuo, B. Cui, L. Song, X. Li. Geo-Edge: Geographical Resource Allocation on Edge Caches for Video-on-Demand Streaming. BIGCOM 2018.
Best Paper Award
Y. Zhang, Y. Zhang, K. Bian, X. Li. Towards Reading Comprehension for Long Documents. IJCAI 2018.
Y. Zhang, K. Bian, L. Chen, S. Dong, L. Sng, X. Li. Early Detection of Rumors in Heterogeneous Mobile Social Network. IEEE DSC 2018.
Best Student Paper Award
Y. Zhang, Y. Guo, C. Gao, K. Bian, X. Jin, Z. Yang, L. Song, J. Cheng, H. Tuo, X. Li. Proactive Video Push for Optimizing Bandwidth Consumption in Hybrid CDN-P2P VoD Systems. IEEE INFOCOM 2018.
"智能视频网络：基于神经网络的混合CDN网络视频流推送" Proactive-Push 技术已部署于爱奇艺tracker server
Y. Zhang, Z. Li, K. Bian, Y. Bai, Z. Yang, X. Li. Population Distribution Projection by Modeling Geo Homophily in Online Social Networks. The 2nd International Conference on Crowd Science and Engineering (ICCSE 2017).
Best Paper Award
V. Kumar, H. Li, J. Park, K. Bian, Y. Yang. Group Signatures with Probabilistic Revocation: A Computationally-Scalable Approach for Providing Privacy-Preserving Authentication. ACM CCS 2015.
H. Li, X. Liu, T. Xie, K. Bian, X. Lu, F. X. Lin, Q. Mei, F. Feng. Characterizing Smartphone Usage Patterns from Millions of
Android Users. ACM IMC 2015.
Y. Liao, T. Wang, K. Bian, L. Song, Z. Han. Decentralized Dynamic Spectrum Access in Full-Duplex Cognitive Radio Networks. IEEE ICC 2015.
Best Paper Award of Cognitive Radio Symposium.
L. Chen, R. Fan, K. Bian, L. Chen, M. Gerla, T. Wang, and X. Li. On Heterogeneous Neighbor Discovery in Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE INFOCOM 2015.
Y. Tian, K. Bian, G. Shen, X. Liu, X. Li, and T. Moscibroda. Contextual-Code: Simplifying Information Pulling from Targeted Sources in Physical World, IEEE INFOCOM 2015.
V. Kumar, J. Park, and K. Bian. Blind Transmitter Authentication for Spectrum Security and Enforcement, ACM CCS 2014.
W. Hu, J. Mao, Z. Huang, Y. Xue, J. She, K. Bian, and G. Shen. Strata: Layered Coding for Scalable Visual Communications, ACM MobiCom 2014.
R. Gao, M. Zhao, T. Ye, F. Ye, Y. Wang, K. Bian, T. Wang, and X. Li. Jigsaw: Indoor Floor Plan Reconstruction via Mobile Crowdsensing, ACM MobiCom 2014.
L. Chen, K. Bian, and M. Zheng. Heterogeneous Multi-channel Neighbor Discovery for Mobile Sensing Applications: Theoretical Foundation and Protocol Design, ACM MobiHoc 2014.
L. Chen, K. Bian, L. Chen, C. Liu, J. Park, and X. Li. A Group-theoretic Framework for Rendezvous in
Heterogeneous Cognitive Radio Networks, ACM MobiHoc 2014.
Y. Tian, R. Gao, K. Bian, F. Ye, T. Wang, Y. Wang, X. Li. Towards Ubiquitous Indoor Localization Service Leveraging Environmental Physical Features, IEEE INFOCOM 2014.
K. Bian and J. Park, Asynchronous Channel Hopping for Establishing Rendezvous in Cognitive Radio Networks,
in Proc. of the 30th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, (IEEE INFOCOM 2011), Mini-conference, Shanghai, China, April 2011.
K. Bian, J. Park, and R. Chen, A Quorum-based Framework for Establishing Control Channels in
Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks, in Proc. of the 15th ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile
Computing and Networking (ACM MobiCom 2009), Beijing, China, September 2009.
R. Chen, J. Park and K. Bian, Robust Distributed Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks,
in Proc. of the 27th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, (IEEE INFOCOM 2008), Mini-conference, Phoenix, USA, April 2008.
- Z. Hu, S. Zhang, Z. Bai, K. Bian, L. Song. AirScope: An Indoor Air Quality Monitoring System with Distributed Multi-Robots.
IEEE ComSoc Student Competition'19 First Prize (ranked No.2), 2019.
- S. Long, Y. Guan, B. Wang, K. Bian, C. Yao. 2019 ICDAR Robust Reading Challenge on Arbitrary-Shaped Text.
First Prize (ranked No.1), 2019.
- Y. Yang, Z. Hu, Z. Zheng, K. Bian, L. Song. ARMS: Real-Time Profiling of Fine-Grained Air Quality Index Distribution using UAV Sensing.
IEEE ComSoc Student Competition'17 First Prize, Best Project (No.1 out of 23 finalists), 2017.